Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Always Find a Way

Every year I read hundreds of medical records. I constantly come upon entries like this, "Because she broke her foot, she cannot exercise," "The patient sprained his right shoulder and has been unable to exercise," "Due to the wound on his calf, he has not been exercising," and so on and so forth.

I sometimes hear this, "I was in transit and couldn't work out," "I only have time to go to work, then to rehearsal and can't work out," "I don't have a gym membership and it's winter so I can't work out," and blah, blah, blah.

And then I heard this one, "I hate to work out, I don't get that euphoria after working out, I just feel horrible after. I hate it." Upon further inquiry I learned that this person had no regular work out schedule and had never done it consistently. And then I know many women who won't work out because of makeup and hair issues.

It's all a bunch of hooey.

When I started working out, years ago, very fanatically to gain stamina for wrestling and with hopes of becoming Superman–(I got close once when I flew over a car and felt like superman when that same car pulled in front of me)--I also felt horrible. But after several years (and yes, it may take a few years) of consistent day to day training, learning to moderate my exercise (let's face it, yes, if you run tell you puke every time you work out, or let trainers run you into the ground, you will feel horrible), working out is almost as fulfilling and enjoyable as an engaging movie, a long romantic and intimate chat, great sex, and an enticing meal. (Okay maybe a good chat can rank as high if coupled with a good meal).

I have worked out on a plane in my seat (isometrics), in an airport (yoga, sit ups, push ups, hackie sack), in an attic, during breaks offstage while in a play, with a crying baby in my arms (sit ups, wall sits, etc.) on a train, in a stairwell between appointments, while waiting for a jury verdict, with or without a gym memberships and in all kinds of weather. I have worked out with a debilitating illness (could only juggle tennis balls for many months) and with almost ever body part injured (not all at the same time). I always have been able to find a way because it is important to me.

So, if you want to you can. If a body part is unavailable due to some problem, figure out what you can exercise and exercise it. If I was flat on my back and the only thing I could move were my nostrils, then you would find me doing fifty nostril flares everyday. Hell, you might even find me pushing five pound weights with my nostils.

Rare is the disease, injury, disability or circumstance that prevents all type of exercise.

And finally, woman, I guarantee you, that over the long run, a hard ass and a vigorous body, will be more valuable to you and bring you greater esteem then a beautifully made up face and nicely coiffed hair.

Loren M. Lambert © July 27, 2013 

No comments: