Friday, April 18, 2014

Destroying the Opposition--Medical Malpractice

Set aside the merits (I don't want to discuss those) and consider something you may not have thought of before about the realities of medical malpractice claims. Also know that I, unlike many of my colleagues, think that we could have some broad based legal reform that could bring some consistency, predictability and still require responsibility and accountability into our system.

Jumping in. I completed a medical malpractice pre-litigation panel last week. The case concerns an understaffed rest home, a fall and subsequent death. It’s really more of a personal injury case than a medical malpractice issue. After the hearing, the opposing party invited us out to chat in the hall. Though, I knew it was not to give us a nice hug and hand shake, I thought that this would be a professional short discussion about the merits of the case and maybe a discussion on a resolution. Instead, the opposing party indicated the many ways he was going to destroy us.

Therein lies one of the problems. In most med mal cases, and I would say regardless of the merits or fault, the medical care providers pursue a scorched earth policy. Is it effective? Yeah, arguably at times. But in my humble opinion, usually not. Pursuing such tactics just increases the expenses on both sides, enriches the attorneys, and causes unnecessary entrenchment. I’ll let you know how this one goes–if I am around to tell the tale.

Loren M. Lambert © November 19, 2013

No comments: