Tuesday, April 1, 2014

How Not To Get Elected--But What We Really Need

1. "No Inmate Left Behind," initiative. Prisons will be ranked based on their recidivism rate and scholastic/vocational achievement rate with adverse consequences for those that rank in the bottom third and incentives for those that rank in the top third.

Comment 1: Jacob Dean - I disagree unless the scholastic/vocational achievement costs are entirely paid by the inmate.

Comment 2: Loren M. Lambert -  @Jacob. I think you have a rational position and I think they could pay for it somewhat by directing the money obtained from forfeiture laws be used to pay for it. But even if we could not, I just think that the benefits would far outweigh the costs. Moreover, on line services could make such programs very inexpensive.

Comment 3: Brenda Hurley Stuvek - Don't you think the folks in the bottom third would need the incentives to improve more than those in the top third?

Comment 4: Loren M. Lambert - @Brenda--Yes but structured so that they have an economic incentive to do so.

Comment 5: Loren M. Lambert - I'm a pragmatic, not a dogmatic, as you know, I think we should do the smartest thing under the known and knowable circumstances.

Comment 6: Loren M. Lambert - Let's not try to resolve this but I do not believe that taxation, ipso facto, theft, whether for war, courts, education, roads, subsidies, security, prisons, national parks. So I do not agree with your morals.

Loren M. Lambert © June 9, 2013

No comments: