Monday, April 14, 2014

Yoga Breathing in Water

To sleep, at times when my mind would rather keep me awake, I let my body take over by inhaling slowly for 7 seconds, holding for 4 to 5 seconds, exhaling slowly for 7 seconds, holding an empty lung for 4 to 5 seconds, repeat. Soon, the mind is focused and I drift off.

I tried to breath like this underwater (except of course for the inhale). Try it. I know I am interested by the meaningless but I was puzzled to learn I couldn't seem to get all the air out and hold it before inhaling, even though I was taking the same amount of time. It seemed to add an element of greater difficulty and panic.

I know it means something--some automatic subconscious reaction--something to do with the water pressure--but I still thought I should have been able to do it just like I do out of water (except of course for the inhale).

Loren M. Lambert © August 13, 2013

No comments: