Thursday, March 19, 2015

Salute To My Brother

He liked to tease. I liked to let it get under the skin of my too sensitive soul. We fought the hardest. He’d start laughing, I'd get the upper hand.

I was too young to understand what the effect of several tumbles off a roof and concussions could have on a young man's brain. Among others, he had to endure the merciless hazing of the Bishop and Stake Presidents' sons. I'm embarrassed to say that while I didn't condone it, I didn't stick up for him.  In fact I teased him myself at times. I was still in open bro on bro mutual combat mood. Maybe it can be understood why he soured on the idea of the LDS religion and hung out with the alleged bad boys. It took me years to realize the bad boys weren't so bad and the good boys weren't so good despite their sectarian status, clean faces and brylcreem hair.

The Marines matured him, and then both hardened him and repelled him. I loved and honored the Camp Pendleton shirt he gave me from boot camp.  Afterwards, he then had to overcome the drinking and find a new life.

Our last fight wised us both up with mutual apologies. We finally realized the foolishness of our youth. It brought a peace between brothers that we never had found before. God bless hard fists, maturity, the Marines, and the sanctity of a sincere apology.

He's had to work hard his whole life. Now his still strong, but quickly aging body, has been brought up against his greatest challenge--a brain tumor.
Let it not be cancer.

I pray for you my brother, and your surgeon. Be strong and let the Marine in you win another battle!

Until the morning.
Loren M. Lambert
© September 8, 2014

Comments....
Jen Ottens:  Sometimes it takes decades of experience for us to finally learn what is actually important and have guts enough to say we are sorry for our part in it. We will surely pray for your brother's quick and complete recovery.  September 8, 2014 at 11:32pm

Rosalinda Burton:  A wonderful and fitting salute, Loren. I will add my prayer too.  September 9, 2014 at 8:50am

Laurie Jan Bray:  Your story is beautifully told and universal . I see this next chapter full of peace.
September 9, 2014 at 9:47am

Lynn Nichols:  Wishing you and your brother peace and a positive outcome.
September 9, 2014 at 7:57pm

Loren M. Lambert:  Thank you all for your blessings and prayers. My brother returned from surgery.  The surgeon said the procedure went well but, although it is not absolute, it is most likely cancer.  September 9, 2014 at 8:27pm

No comments: