Monday, November 16, 2015

Veteran’s Day–Is Greatness Measured by The Number of Lives Ruined or Spent?

I am a veteran. I served at Ft. Lewis in I Corps and then in the 9th Infantry Division as a JAG Officer. I was trained at Ft. Lee, the Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School, in Charlottesville, Virginia and lastly at Ft. Benning where I had the dynamic and instructive experience of training with paratroopers and jumping with them in five jumps from perfectly sound cargo planes. I have to say, it is a beautiful and exhilarating experience to behold as a participant, the blooming of canopies, like so many giant flowers, in a peach and red sunset over Georgia. I only was in for one tour and it was an important part of my life that I am grateful for so, as a Veteran, I thank you for allowing me to serve.

Although I never served overseas in a combat zone, there were a couple JAGs from my office that served in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War. I also represented and was a neighbor to numerous veterans of several wars. I don’t share this because I deserve or want thanks. I share this because we have a country in which so few have the privilege and the incredible benefit of serving in their country's armed forces. I served because I believe serving in the armed forces is the best way to focus the hearts, minds and bodies of all U.S. citizens on the importance of being or electing wise, balanced leadership that can maintain our preparedness yet not engage us in unnecessary wars.

Currently it is still, even with the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, a very small percentage of the military that bears the great burden of combat and an even smaller number that pay the ultimate price with their wounded bodies, minds and lives. It is this group that deserves our concern, support and praise. Yet, it is this group that would be more greatly honored by the conviction and understanding that we all have a responsibility of bearing the burden of protection by having the direct responsibility of maintaining and promoting peace and democracy. And how is the burden borne by us all?

On NPR today, one of the commentators indicated with a question, that patriotism and support for our veterans means that we cannot voice opposition to the wars they have fought in or are fighting in. Nothing could be further from the truth. To honor veterans, to truly and patriotically honor their sacrifice, is to understand that we all must make sure that no blood is spilled casually, injudiciously or without great need. I fear that because this burden is borne by so few, our politicians and potential presidents can talk about making America great again in the same manner that wealthy people demonstrate greatness by the amount of money they can casually waste and the way many despots demonstrate their greatness by the number of lives they can casually expend. Let’s not be these despots. Let us honor our veterans by taking care of them, serving in our military, and electing wise leaders that will only involve us in war as a last resort.
 Loren M. Lambert Nov. 11, 2015 ©

No comments: