Thursday, January 21, 2016

Narcissism--The Prozac of Our Progression

Even the most self aware need to take measure of areas of their lives that would benefit from improvement in a deliberative and documented way. I've been doing this.

I say this about the "most self aware" because I've always thought of myself as being someone who was highly self aware. The problem is that we are only as self aware as our narcissism allows us to be and narcissism is like that blind spot in our vision that is simply filled in by our brains to be consistent with that which is visible.

If that which is visible is pretty good, who knows what we are hiding in the blind spots. I have a lot of blind spots. So I'm documenting one. Forgivingly, it's probably not as graphic as if I had a videographer following me around 24/7 to record my worst moments, which would probably be enlightening, but perhaps too discouraging.

And isn't that the benefit of having a little narcissism? It's like the Prozac for our progression. It allows us to have the vision of our possibilities always before us as a template we are stepping toward and may some day actually step into. Yet, on the other hand, might it just be a mirage of self deception that we think we have achieved when we have not?

It's both. So I am going to continue my chronicling and steady adjustment so I can truly live up to my own narcissistic view of myself and thereby maybe really end up being be self aware.

Loren M. Lambert © Jan. 12, 2016.

No comments: